Sunday, February 28, 2016

Week #7: Media Arts Curriculum

In the latter half of this week we discussed gifted and talented programs as well as media arts.  We were asked to reflect on Media Arts in the classroom and curriculum.

(Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1GpL768Sk) 


Personally, I believe the inclusion of technology and Media Arts in the art curriculum (as well as the curriculum at large) is very important.  Students are more technologically connected and inclined than ever before, and most experience digital media daily outside of the classroom.  Why should the classroom exist as a technology-free vacuum?  Students should be educated about how to interpret, judge, and create media for the virtual world they often live in.  Media Arts provides a unique opportunity to teach about appropriation, parody, subversion, documentation, indexing, photography, critique, and even more through a modern, student-friendly lens.

That being said, I would love to have Media be a part of all my art classes.  I would like to ideally have at least one or two technology or Media-based projects in each class, as well as a specific Media Arts class.  I would need to have access to computers (Mac and PC), cameras, and software such as the Adobe Package (including Photoshop, Illustrator, and Lightroom), iMovie or Windows Movie Maker, and 3-D design software.  The general art classes would only need access to the lab for a number of specific projects, and the Media class would need to be held in the lab every session.  I include the Adobe products simply because they are the industry standard and the best tool available in terms of power and versatility.  Students should be able to learn using the best tools possible in order to prepare them best for the working world, and to allow their artistic work to truly flourish.  The 3-D design software would be included in an absolutely ideal situation.  In the best circumstances I would love for children to be able to experiment with sculpture in the most innovative, modern ways, but I understand that having 3-D printing capability is a lofty goal, one that has not even been reached by the School of Visual Art and Design at USC.

I would love to use the Adobe products for projects in photography, collage or compositing, and advertising.  I have seen great example of lessons including the creation movie-posters, the invention of graphics for an imaginary business, and the re-creation of famous works from art history (as well as the typical photo editing and re-touching projects). 

Below are some examples of works I made in media classes:





I would also involve projects in video making using iMovie or Movie Maker.  I always had a blast with these projects myself, and I think that they are especially appropriate for students of the Millennial generation who are so in touch with video-media on Vine, YouTube, and Instagram.  I experienced a great example of the importance of the video medium to current students when I made movies with my younger cousins that they entirely directed and scripted themselves.  As far as the classroom is concerned, I have participated in great video lessons including stop-motion subversion films, advocacy pieces, and creative script films.

No comments:

Post a Comment