Sunday, April 17, 2016

Week #13: Ideal Teaching Environment

At the beginning of the week this week we discussed interviews for teaching positions, and Gina gave us a chance to think about and answer some of the questions she actually asks potential art teachers.  After having this discussion we were asked to take a little time to reflect on our ideal teaching environment – and that is the topic I will be covering in this blog entry.

(Retrieved from:  http://www.inaperfectschool.com/)

My ideal teaching situation would definitely involve being part of an established art program with multiple teachers, access to supplies, and the support of the school and district.  Having multiple art teachers would be a major asset to me, both as a new teacher and as an artist.  Being able to share ideas and techniques with my peers is something that has always helped me succeed.  In addition, I feel that having access to the quality facilities, supplies, and materials that a strong program provides would be conducive to my performance.  If I have access to good supplies my lessons can be more effective, interesting, and creative.  As a result students can be more engaged, learn more, and create higher-quality works of art.  Lastly, having school involvement and support would help me to show student work, engage the student population at large, and participate with parents and the community.  These things are not always considered an essential part of what goes on in the art classroom, but they make for a stronger program, a stronger curriculum, and – in my case – for a better, well-rounded, involved, and active art teacher.

All of these circumstances, the circumstances of an established art program, also contribute to student achievement.  If the students are excited about what they are learning, the materials they get to experiment with, and the opportunities they have to share work and be recognized, then they will actually learn more and produce better work.


My ideal teaching environment would also include plenty of room for my own growth and development.  Continued learning is really important to me.  Every lesson can be improved, and every teacher can learn.  I would definitely take advantage of professional development opportunities provided by my school and district, but would make use of other teachers in the art department and the school as a resource.  I find that the people I have closer relationships with professionally help me generate better ideas and more ideas.  I would also love to be involved with NAEA and the SCAEA, and take advantage of their conferences, meetings, and workshops.  

No comments:

Post a Comment